G20 PROPERTY is supported by Progressive Web Apps ( PWA ) – The Next Generation of Mobile Web
Progressive Web Apps also are known as PWAs are the web apps that look and feel just like a native mobile app. It works on any browser whether it be chrome, opera or Samsung internet browser and the users are not obliged to download from the app store. Just tap on the link and PWA is installed on the user’s phone.
PWA is installable and live on your home screen, without the need for an app store. They offer an immersive full screen experience with help from a web app manifest file and can even re-engage users with web push notifications.
How to launch PWA
→ user will have the option to add our PWA to the home screen of a mobile device, and you will see the notification of “add to home screen”.
→ if there is no notification, just click 3dots on the upper right of your smartphone then select add to home screen.
There are multiple reasons for using a progressive web app, but here are some of the top capabilities it provides:
1) Fast: PWAs provide experiences that are consistently fast. From the moment a user downloads an app to the moment they start interacting with it, everything happens really fast. Because you can cache the data, it is extremely fast to start the app again even without hitting the network.
2) Integrated user experience: PWAs feel and behave like native apps. They sit in a user’s home screen, send push notifications like native apps, and have access to a device’s functionalities like native apps. The experience feels seamless and integrated.
3) Reliable experience: With the help of service workers, we can reliably paint a picture on a user’s screen even when network has failed.
4) Engaging: Because we can send notifications to a user, we can really drive the engagement up by keeping the user notified and engaged with the app.
Benefit of PWAs
● Responsive: Progressive Web Apps are highly responsive. They auto adjusts the layout according to the device. So, whether it be a mobile, tablet, laptop or desktop, PWAs will fit any device.
● Secure: PWAs are more secure compared to traditional web apps because they are always served via HTTPS. This ensures that the app can is tamper proof and cannot be vandalized.
● Reliable Despite Network Flaws: One can rely on Progressive Web Apps even when the network is shoddy as it can even work offline. This is possible through service worker, a type of web worker. Konga, a leading e-commerce website in Nigeria managed to reduce 92% of the user data usage due to its Progressive Web App.
● Looks and Feels Just Like a Native App: The user won’t notice any difference between PWA and the native app. It exactly looks and feels like a native app and even provides similar features like push notification, integration with the system, display icon on the home screen and app drawer, etc.
● Installation: Making the user install your app from the store can be a pain in the neck. But with a PWA the user can install the app with just one tap. This frictionless installation lets users enjoy service instead of installing the bulky native app.
● Easy Updates: One of the most amazing features of PWA is that it is easy to update. Since there is no app store that works as a mediator, your users can enjoy the updated app as soon as you have updated it from your side.
● Lightweight: Even though PWAs are packed with amazing features, they are extremely lightweight. Comparing Pinterest’s PWA with its Android and iOS app, it is just 150KB against 9.6MB and 56MB respectively. Charmingly lightweight, isn’t it?
Examples of Progressive Web Apps:
AliExpress, Flipkart, Twitter Lite, BookMyShow, Forbes, OLX, Pinterest, Lancôme, MakeMyTrip, Settled, Pure Formulas, Trivago, Starbuck, Debenhamns, West Elm, Washington Post, Tinder, Wego, Alibaba, Housing.com, The Weather Channel